Wrestlingmaniacs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Star Trek film

3 posters

Go down

New Star Trek film Empty New Star Trek film

Post  John Norvilas Fri May 08, 2009 2:58 pm

I got back from seeing this movie & I thought it was really good. It was very soild. The only probelm I have is that JJ Abrams really likes to move the camera alot. At times it move like cloverfield which almost got me sick.

So soild movie: Great effects, good story & really good acting. It have great sense of humor like the orginial series.
John Norvilas
John Norvilas

Back to top Go down

New Star Trek film Empty Alert: Spoilers!!!

Post  13th Mon May 11, 2009 1:07 pm

I saw it yesterday...I wasn't impressed at all. It was an okay film, the CGI was fantastic, but it isn't "Star Trek".

There was way too much humor for my liking. Oh, it's an Adventure/comedy? I wish I'd known. The movie seemed to lack the "epic" feel, probably because of Abrams endless closeups of the oh so hot crew. I found it slipping into parody too much as well, even though the film makers claim that is the last thing they wanted to do.

Vulcan gets imploded and it seemed like a plot device. That's just poor writing. There was no message here, where is the hope of a bright future that Roddenberry created? Not here.

It was an okay space adventure...but Star Trek it ain't. They got Spock right, but that's about it. Scotty was a clown (stranded on Hoth with an oompa-loompa), Chekhov was another annoying Wesley Crusher with an accent. Uhura was eye candy.

3 out 5 stars, okay...not great.
13th
13th
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

New Star Trek film Empty Re: New Star Trek film

Post  mike3775 Mon May 11, 2009 2:36 pm

13th, you have to remember that this trek takes place in an alternate universe/time line.

I actually liked the movie, and it gave a great foundation for another set of films, which the franchise really needed badly since Berman and Braga ran it into the ground at warp 9.

mike3775
Admin

https://wrestlingmaniacs.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  13th Mon May 11, 2009 3:36 pm

I'm pretty damn sure I don't like J.J. Abrams as a director.
Lost - don't like it.
Fringe - it sucks!
Cloverfield - just crap!

I know he's Hollywood's flavor of the month but I hope someone else does the next film. I'm very disappointed in this one.

Thanks for your comments Mike.
13th
13th
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  mike3775 Mon May 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Sure it went against canon a lot 13th, but you have to remember, they were not just going for built in fans, they were trying to draw in new fans as well, which going by the box office, they succeeded in doing.

This was only the second Trek film to ever debut at #1(First contact was the other one), and this was based on the same premise as Star Trek 2 with lots of action and fighting in space.

The thing that a lot of longtime fans are forgetting, is this does not ruin the original at all, in fact is preserves the original, because now its in the alternate universe, which actually makes the movies better, because they are now free to do more

I do not like the destruction of Vulcan, nor how Kirk became captain right out of the academy, but it did breath some life into his character to know that he was a juvenile delinquent as a kid, not some boring ass nerdy kid

mike3775
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  13th Tue May 19, 2009 1:14 pm

I've realized what really killed this movie for me. All the previous incarnations of Star Trek is set in a Post WWIII world. The culture of that future society is very different from what we live in. This new movie may be set in the future but it's also set in our present culture. The culture of North America circa 2009. For me it just doesn't work.

I really hope JJ Abrams doesn't do the next movie. He sucks.
13th
13th
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  mike3775 Wed May 20, 2009 8:18 pm

13th wrote:I've realized what really killed this movie for me. All the previous incarnations of Star Trek is set in a Post WWIII world. The culture of that future society is very different from what we live in. This new movie may be set in the future but it's also set in our present culture. The culture of North America circa 2009. For me it just doesn't work.

I really hope JJ Abrams doesn't do the next movie. He sucks.

Not really 13th

Sure it has some likeness to today, but keep in mind, so did Enterprise, and sorry, I got sick of the "perfect future and Paradise" which is why I loved Deep Space Nine so much

mike3775
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down